Monday, January 17, 2011

Let's Build a Fire

 
I don't know how well my readers know me, but I'm a huge fan of the metaphor.  I like to use simple concepts and imagery to describe complex relationships and the inner-workings of the human mind.  For example: love is a battlefield.  Today, I thought of one that really helped me understand what marriage is all about.  You can't start a fire and expect it to burn forever... unless you're willing to stir things up once in awhile.  Toss another log on the heap now and again.  Also, why build a fire if you're not going to enjoy it?!

Such is a marriage.  And in essence, such is life.

If you're fortunate enough to find yourself currently basking in the warm, comforting glow of a committed relationship, take a minute to think about that.  Ask yourself, "Have I poked my fire today?" (go ahead, laugh).  Then, remind yourself to be careful the next time you do.  Because there's an art to it.  A certain skill - and sadly, this is another one of life's 'easy to learn/hard to master' lessons.  It is possible to stifle a fire.  Even smother it out completely.  [Editorial: If this happens, don't sweat it - you can always try to build a new one!]  Just bear in mind that the goal is to always build it up.  Make it burn bigger.  Brighter.  Hotter.  Longer.  Also, remember that no matter how small a fire may get... it still burns.  The flames could be a distant memory, and the smoldering ashes would still remember the heat like it never left.  And if you take care to add just the right amount of wood and stir things around in just the right way, you CAN get that fire going again!

Such is marriage.  And in essence, such is life.  Thank you for reading!

1 comment:

  1. Bravo!
    Remember, it is the nice thoughtful words, the real I love you in passing through the day, thoughtfulness and careing that keep that fire burning hot and bright and bring out the golden embers of the wood dedicated to keep it burning!

    ReplyDelete