Saturday, January 29, 2011

Letting Go


For the last month, I've been fighting myself to relinquish control of my life and the circumstances that have brought me to where I am today.  I keep trying to let go of the wheel.  Over and over.  I even tell myself that, "This is it, I'm backing away.  Starting... now!" - and sometimes, I manage to do it.  I succeed.  But because I'm human.  Because of myself and what motivates me, I inevitably freak out and reach desperately for the wheel.  It never sticks.  I start fighting to regain control.  Over and over.  Again.  And again.  And again.

This week, however... something happened.  Through a series of seemingly random events or coincidences - whatever you want to call them - I was primed for and ultimately delivered a very important message.  A message that I might not have been ready to receive had it come at any other point in my life.  And I'm finding the more I think on it that this message was EXACTLY what I needed to hear, when I needed to hear it.  You see, instead of just letting go.  Instead of backing away.  Instead of giving up... what I need to work on is giving control over to Someone *hint* a little more capable than myself.  I can't 'fix' this.  Neither can a therapist, or a book, or an article, etc.  I need help.  And I've finally taken my first real step toward getting that help - by closing my eyes, bowing my head, and asking for it.

A friend asked me over dinner yesterday, "Where do all the desperate people go?"  If you want the answer to that question, ask me where I'll be Sunday morning.

4 comments:

  1. Oh, if only we could control everything. What is the old saying, "Everybody wants to rule the world"? Something like that.

    Here is another site you might want to see, and it's one that's helped me a lot lately, is http://tinybuddha.com/ There is a whole section on Letting Go. :)
    But asking for help is a huge step as well. Good luck in the next step, wherever it takes you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is for you. "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me, and find me when you seek me with all your heart. I will be found by you." This is Pamela's all time favorite verse. Jeremiah 29:11-14. We love you EJ.

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS...

    That picture makes me think of Clive Owen in BMW films.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Unrelated--I LOVE those BMW films! :)

    ReplyDelete